Thursday, October 15, 2015

Granite Chief and PCT Trails from Squaw to Tinker's Knob and Anderson Peak

Finishing the South Shore Open Water Swim, I had the remainder of the day to explore more in the Tahoe area mountains, and I went out to complete the rest of the Squaw-to-Donner route.  Up the Granite Chief trail, then north on the PCT to Anderson Peak, where I had stopped when I covered the northern half.   It was very windy from Tinker Knob to Anderson Peak; I decided to jog/hike this easier-terrain stretch because there were some crazy gusts coming from the west, and well, there was also this very long drop just a few feet to the right.  Not the time to get caught off guard and go down.  I finished 18.5 miles, feeling much better than after my last few long mountain runs.  


Climbing the Granite Chief trail

Squaw Valley

Grant Chief trail looking east.

PCT, looking west.

Looking north toward the destination peaks, Mt Anderson, Tinker Knob, and Peak 8761.

Looking south from Tinker Knob

Peak 8761

Peak 8761.  Again.  It's just a cool spot.

Tinker Knob.

Anderson Peak from Tinker Knob.  Castle Peak in the distance.  It was crazy gusty up here.

Start of the American "River"

Looking east on the Painted Rock trail.





No comments: